Oiling leaves the wood feeling and looking natural and still offers a good surface protection. Oiled wood will develop a natural patina and character over time which will only enhance the beauty of the material.
To maintain the look and silky feeling of oiled wood, regular re-oiling is
recommended. Reoiling should be done when the wood starts to appear dry or faded. Usually, re-oiling once every year is sufficient.
- Use a clean, dry cloth
- If spots cannot be removed with a dry cloth, use a clean cloth soaked in clean water and wrung well
- Firmly wipe the surface in the direction of the grain
- Do not leave liquid to sit on timber surfaces as it will penetrate the surface and cause staining
- Before you begin re-oiling, place a protective layer beneath your furniture to catch any drips or spills
- Always test the top oil in an inconspicuous area to ensure the desired finish is achieved before applying
- Before applying oil, the furniture must be cleaned with a soft cloth that has been well wrung in lukewarm water. If the wood grains ”raise”, lightly sand them with a 240-grain sanding paper in the direction of the timber grain
- Make the cloth damp with oil and evenly distribute to the entire wooden surface in the direction of the grain
- Wipe the oil off with a clean, dry cloth in the direction of the wood grain, and let the furniture surface dry completely
- For walnut we suggest using a linseed oil and mineral turpentine mix of 60/40 in order
- Depending on the desired look, solid oak and oak veneer is oiled using either white pigmented oil or a dark smoked oil
- The white pigmented oil allows the oak to maintain its original and natural light colour for longer and thereby protects the wood from premature darkening and turning yellow
- The smoked oil offers a unique dark finish and character. Variations in wood structure and colour are natural characteristics of solid oak. This feature is further enhanced when applying the smoked oil and should be seen as part of the overall product
- Please contact your nearest showroom for more information on ordering a smoked oil kit as these vary depending on manufacturer
Download our care instructions HERE
Alternatively, you can download our care instructions HERE.